Sheriff's Office designated as a Craigslist Transaction Safe Zone
Community: Sheriff's Office designated as a Craigslist Transaction Safe Zone
In an effort to offer preventative measures designed to help keep our community safe Sheriff Jerry Clayton has designated the lobby at the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office, 2201 Hogback, Ann Arbor MI 48105 as a “Craigslist Transaction Safe Zone.” Anyone is welcome to visit the Sheriff’s Office lobby to meet buyers and sellers during regular business hours. Staff will play no role in the transactions, however, will respond as they would during any situation requiring police intervention. Our intention is to offer a safe environment to conduct Craigslist transactions.
The Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office lobby is open Monday through Friday from 8a to 5p. The lobby is closed most holidays. Any questions can be directed to the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office Service Desk @ 734 973-4691.
If you are planning to sell/buy items through an online service such as Craigslist here are a few more things to consider;
1. Do not give out your home address or personal information
2. Arrange to meet in a public place like the Sheriff's Office lobby
3. Always bring a friend along with you
4. Stick with local buyers or sellers if possible. Out of area customers can be a red flag
5. Ask about the details of an item or to see pictures prior to arranging the meeting
And always remember, if you have a suspicious feeling or “it just doesn’t feel right”, don’t go. If you’re already there, leave.
"An educated and engaged community is our best partner" - Sheriff, Jerry L. Clayton