Area Fire Departments

NON-Emergency Contact Numbers:

Saline Fire Department 734-429-4440

Milan Fire Department (734) 439-2843

Which fire department services my area?
York Township is part owner of both the Saline and Milan Fire Depts.

Contact the fire departments at the above phone numbers to see which serves your area:

Is burning of trash and yard debris allowed in York Township?

Burning is allowed ONLY under certain circumstances.

Charter Township of York, ORDINANCE NO. 110 (Opening Burning).

You must get a burn permit from the fire department that services your area. Contact the fire departments for burn permits at the above phone numbers.

Milan-Saline Fire Area Map 2018
Burn Permit per Ord No. 110
Ord 110, Open Burning Ord

Cable T.V. questions

Who is the cable T.V. provider for York Township?
Comcast is the cable T.V. provider for York Twp.

They can be contacted by calling customer service at 1-888-266-2278, or 1-734-254-1712.

Is internet access available from Comcast?

Yes – Internet access from Comcast is available to all existing service areas of the Township. Call Customer service at the above number to get Connected. Be sure to tell them you are in York Township, Washtenaw County, Michigan.

Personal Property Questions

What is Personal Property?

Personal property is the tangible (physical) assets of a business. Personal property should not be confused with real property.

What are some examples of Personal Property?

Personal property consists of many items. A few of those would be: furnature, fixtures, machinery, equipment, office equipment, computer equipment and signs. Contact the local Assessor's Office if you have a question whether an item qualifies as personal property.

Where and how often do I have to file a Personal Property statement?

Personal property statements are filed each year with the jurisdiction that the personal property was located in on December 31st. Personal property is valued at market (true-cash) value and assessed at 50% thereof. Personal property statements are mailed the first week of January and must be completed, signed and returned by February 20th. If a personal property statement is not returned by the February 20th deadline, by law, the Assessor is required to estimate an assessed value.

Who says I have to file a Personal Property statement?

The Michigan Constitution provides for assessment of all real and personal property not exempt by law.

What type of information do I include on the Personal Property statement?

The total original installed costs for each item of personal property by the year of purchase.

What about used equipment?

If an item was purchased used, you must report the original cost of the item in the year it was purchased AS NEW. Do not report the cost you paid for the item as used. (You may have to contact the seller for original cost information).

If you have personal property that has been fully expensed or depreciated for Federal Income Tax or financial accounting purposes, the original cost in the year purchased MUST be reported on your personal property statement. When you sell or get rid of an item of personal property, the original cost of the item should not be included on your statement when you file the following year.

Do I report equipment that I am leasing?

Yes. This equipment should be reported on Section J of your personal property statement. Be sure to include the type of equipment, leasing company name and mailing address. The leasing company may be responsible for payment of the personal property tax. However, be sure to read your rental/lease agreement to verify if the leasing company or your business is responsible for the tax.

I lease space my business occupies. Do I have to pay a Personal Property Tax?

Yes. Personal property is a tax on the physical (tangible) assets of the business, not the structure or building itself. Therefore, the owner of the business, not the owner of the building, is assessed a personal property tax.

I operate a business out of my home. Do I have to pay a Personal Property Tax?

Yes. Regardless of where the business is located, if a business is situated within York Township, it is subject to a Personal property tax. However, if you are the sole proprietor of a business and live within the Township, you may qualify for a partial exemption of the personal property tax.

Where does the tax money collected go?

When you receive your personal property tax bill, it will have itemized amounts as to where the tax money is distributed. In York Township, those entities would be, but not limited to: Washtenaw County, York Township and the Saline and Milan school districts. Essentially, personal property tax money goes to the same entities as real property tax. The tax rate used to calculate the amount of tax is the non-homestead tax rate.

What if I want to appeal my assessed value on my personal property?

If you disagree with your assessment, please contact the Assessor's Office. If needed you may appeal to the Board of Review in March and further to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. However, in order to file to the Michigan Tax Tribunal, you must have filed your personal property tax statement and you must have appealed to the Board of Review.

What are my responsibilities as a business owner?

You must notify your local Assessor's Office when your business moves into or out of the township. Also, if you anticipate purchasing a business, make sure that the seller has paid the personal property taxes. The tax bills may be in the name of the old business, but the tax lien on the personal property remains. Therefore, the personal property may be seized to pay delinquent personal property taxes even though you may be the new business owner.

What happens if my business moves out of York Township during the year?

December 31st is the tax day in the State of Michigan. Unlike real property where taxes are prorated at the time of sale, a personal property tax is due for the entire year. For example, if your business moves out of the township on any day during the calendar year following tax day (December 31st), you, as a business owner, are still liable for the personal property tax for the remainder of the calendar year. Personal property taxes would be due to the City or Township your business re-locates to the following year. Your business cannot be taxed a personal property tax by two jurisdictions in the same year.

What happens if Personal Property taxes become delinquent?

The non-payment of personal property taxes could result in seizure of the personal property. If you have a dispute, pay the taxes and pursue action to show why reimbursement should be made. Once the opportunity to appeal with the Board of Review has passed and a tax bill has been issued, the asessment and tax bill are both valid and the tax is not refundable. The Treasurer is authorized to seize and sell personal property of a business if personal property taxes remain unpaid.



A personal property statement is mailed.


The statement should be completed, signed and returned by February 20th. If the Statement is not received by the deadline, by law the Assessor is required to estimate an assessed value.

Upon receipt of the completed statement, an assessed value will be calculated utilizing State Tax Commission approved multipliers.


A Notice of Assessment is mailed. This notice indicates current year's and previous year's assessed values, and dates and times of the Board of Review.

Board of Review is held.


Summer tax bills are mailed.


Winter tax bills are mailed.

If you have further questions, please contact the York Township Assessor's Office at 734-439-8842.

Property Assessment Questions

What is assessed value?

Assessed value (tentative SEV) is based on 50% of market value as required by state law. Although numerous factors are considered by the Assessor's Office in arriving at the intitial market value of a property, increases in market value from year to year are attriutable to increased sale prices of properties in an assessing neighborhood as well as additions, remodeling, etc. These increases in market value result in an increase in assessed value (tentative SEV). The sale price of an individual property is not assessed at 50% of a sale price. After the assessment rolls of local jurisdictions are reviewed and approved (the equalization process) by the County and State, the assessed values become the State Equalized Values. SEVs are not subject to a "cap".

What is taxable value?

Taxable value is the value to which the millage rate is applied. Taxable value is subject to a "cap" and can be increased only by the amount of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) or 5%, whichever is lower. This results in another value called Capped Value. Taxable Value must be the lower of the SEV or Capped Value which is computed as:

Capped Value=(Prior Year's Taxable Value- Losses)x(the lower of 1.05 or the INFLATION RATE)+Additions.

Additions are all increases in value caused by new construction, remodeling, and the value of property that was exempt or removed from the assessment roll.

Lossess are all decreases in value caused by the removal or destruction of property, or the value of property that has been exempted or removed from the assessment roll.

The Inflation Rate is the increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) which is provided to all taxing units by the State Tax Commission. The CPI usually changes annually.

What happens if I just purchased my home in the prior year?

For all properties that sold during the prior year, the current year Taxable Value will be "uncapped" and changed to the State Equalized Value of the property. There is no limit on the amount of change in Taxable Value in the year after a property transfers. However, beginning with the current year the cap goes back on the Taxable Value and increases in Taxable Value are limited by the capped value formula.

Last year my SEV was $55,000 and my Taxable Value was $55,000. What will my Taxable Value be this year?

Example: If our sales ratio study shows that market values increased in your neighborhood by 3%, this means your current year SEV is:

$55,000 x 1.03=$57,200 (rounded)


The CPI increase was 1.5%, so your CAPPED VALUE is:


Your TAXABLE VALUE for this year is the lower of the State Equalized Value and the Capped Value, or $56,300.

Last year my SEV was $62,800 and my Taxable Value was $61,000. What will my Taxable Value be this year?

Example: If our sales ratio study shows that market values did not increase in your neighborhood, this means your current year SEV is:

$62,800x1.000=$62,800 (the same as last year).

The CPI increase was 1.5%, so your CAPPED VALUE is:


Your TAXABLE VALUE for this year is the lower of the State Equalized Value and the Capped Value, or $61,900.

Why did my taxable value go up, if my SEV did not increase?

The assessor (and the Board of Review) are required by law to increase the taxable value by the applicable rate of inflation (CPI). It would be illegal for the assessor to set the taxable value at any figure other than the 61,900. However, your taxable value cannot go higher than your SEV.

Last year my SEV was $102,000 and my Taxable Value was $100,600. I added an addition to my home last year. What will my Taxable Value be this year?

Example: If our sales ratio study shows that the market values increased in your neighborhood by 2%. Also, the appraisor for your area has estimated that your addition will add $15,000 to your SEV.

Your current year SEV is:

$102,000x1.02=$104,040+$15,000=$119,000 (rounded)

The CPI was 1.5% so your CAPPED VALUE is:


Your TAXABLE VALUE is the lower of the State Equalized Value and the Capped Value, or $117,100.

The following is a history of the Consumer Price Index as reproted by the Michigan State Tax Commission:

2002 utilized for 2003 1.015
2001 utilized for 2002 1.032
2000 utilized for 2001 1.032
1999 utilized for 2000 1.019
1998 utilized for 1999 1.016
1997 utilized for 1998 1.027
1996 utilized for 1997 1.028
1995 utilized for 1996 1.026

What is a valid basis for appealing your property tax assessment?

The state of Michigan established the appeal process to assure that the property tax system would function in an equitable fashion. It is the taxpayers right to take advantage of this process. Claiming that your prperty taxes are too high and continue to go up is not a valid basis for appeal. (Remember that the Taxable Value may increase each yar based ont he Consumer Price Index or 1.05 whichever is less). To actually see a reduction in taxes, the Assessed Vale (SEV) or Capped Value must decrease to less than the level of your current Taxable value.

To have a good basis for appeal you need to provide evidence which indicates the Assessed Value is in excess of 50% of the True Cash Value. This requires some research and fact finding on your part. Is the value of your property comparable to the sale price of similar properties that sold in your area? Is the information on which the Assessor based the appraisal correct? If you wish to check the accuracy, you need to visit the Assessor's Office to review your property record card.

A number of factors are considered when appraising a property to estimate its value. Some of these factors are age, size, quality and type of construction, lot size, finished attics and basements, the neighborhood where the property is located, and the selling price of similar properties in that area.

If you recently purchased your home for less than the value placed on it by the Assessor, you need to check to see if other homes in your area also sold for less than twice the Assessed Value (SEV). This may indicate that the market value is lower than the value established by the Assessor. Information on sale prices of homes is available in the Assessor's Office.

A professional appraisal of your property can be valuable if you file an appeal; however, unless substantial tax savings result from the appeal, the cost of the appraisal might be more than your tax savings.

How do I appeal my property value?

The York Township Board of Review meets on the second Monday of March and on the following Thursday by appointment only, and it is during this period that you must appeal your property value. Members of the Board of Review are citizens appointed by the Township Supervisor with Board of Trustee approval and are not employees of the Charter Township of York.

Notices of Assessment and Taxable Value are mailed to property owners approximately the first week of March each year. Read your notice carefully and if you have questions be sure to contact the Assessor's Office. Appearances before the Board are by appointment and the appropriate appeal forms will be provided to you upon request.

You will receive notification of the Board's decision regarding your appeal several weeks after the Board adjourns. This notification also provides you with information for further appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal (MTT) if you are not satisfied with the Board's decision. You must file your appeal with the MTT by June 30 of the current year.

In order to apeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal, you ae required to first protest your property value before the local Board of Review.

Additional information regarding the Michigan Tax Tribunal may be obtained from the Michigan Tax Tribunal web site by clicking

Public Library Information

Which library do we use?

Usually you use the library in the school district area for which you live. If you are in the Saline School District, use the Saline District Library. If you are in the Milan School District, use the Milan Public Library.

Where are the libraries located?

The Saline District Library is located at 555 N. Maple Rd., Saline. Just north of US-12 next to the Saline High School.

The Milan Public Library is located at 151 Wabash St., Milan. Just south of Main St. near the City offices.

What are the libraries hours?

Saline District Library
Monday - Thursday 9am to 9 pm
Friday & Saturday 10 am to 5 pm
Sunday 1 pm to 5 pm

Milan Public Library
Monday - Thursday 10 am to 8 pm
Friday 10 am to 5 pm
Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday closed

Public Utilities Available

What public utilities are available in York  Township?

DTE Energy supplies electricity and, in SOME areas of the township, Michcon natural gas service. Call them at 1-800-477-4747 to get service started or to see if you are in an area where natural gas is provided.

AT&T and Verizon provide telephone service to York Township. Call them to see which is the provider for your area. AT&T: 1-800-288-2020; Verizon: 1-800-483-4000.


Comcast provides cable T.V. for York Township.

Contact them at 1-888-266-2278.

West Nile Virus

What is West Nile Virus?

West Nile Virus (WNV) is a mosquito-borne virus that can cause encephalitis or meningitis in humans and other animals. People get WNV from the bite of a mosquito that is infected with the virus.

How is WNV spread?

Mosquitoes become infected with WNV when they feed on infected birds that carry the virus in their blood. After 10-14 days the mosquitoes can transmit the virus to humans and animals while biting to take blood. Once the virus is in someone's bloodstream, it multiplies and may cause illness. You cannot "catch" the virus from touching someone with the disease.

What is the risk of illness in humans?

The risk of getting West Nile encephalitis/meningitis is limited to people who are in areas where WNV is present. The chances you will become seriously ill from any one mosquito bite are extremely small. The risk of getting sick is higher for people who are over 50 years of age, or persons with a weakened immune system.

What are the symptoms?

Most people infected with WNV do not have any symptoms of illness, but some (1 in 4) may become ill 3-15 days after the bite of an infected mosquito. In a few cases, mostly among the elderly, death may occur. Mild illness: Slight fever, headache, body aches, and sometimes a skin rash and swollen glands. Serious illness: High fever, severe headache, stiff neck, mental confusion, convulsions, muscle weakness and paralysis.

How is WNV treated?

There is no specific treatment for West Nile encephalitis/meningitis since antibiotics are not effective against this virus. Hospitalization is usually necessary for supportive care, which may include intravenous fluids (IV), prevention of pneumonia, and breathing assistance, if necessary.

How is West Nile encephalitis prevented?

There is no vaccine for humans available, but there are many steps that you can take to reduce your risk of becoming infected...they include:

1. Avoid activities in areas where there are large numbers of mosquitoes and at the times when they are most active, which is as the sun rises and sets.

2. Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants whenever your are in mosquito-filled areas.

3. Apply insect repellent that contains DEET to exposed skin; spray clothing with repellent because mosquitoes may bite through thin clothing. Wash repellent off after coming back indoors. NOTE: whenever you use an insect repellent, be sure to read and follow the label directions for safe use. CAUTION: do not use DEET repellent on children under 2 yrs. of age or during pregnancy.

4. Avoid applying repellent to the hands of children because repellents may irritate the eyes and mouth.

5. Repair and maintain window and door screens to keep mosquitoes out of buildings.

6. Limit mosquito breeding sites by draining standing water in your yard. Empty water from flower pots/saucers, clogged drain gutters, wading pools, swimming pool and patio furnature covers, discarded tires, pails and buckets and other similar items that can collect water. Change the water in birdbaths and horse troughs at least 2 times per week.

7. Cut tall weeds and grass to remove mosquito hiding and resting areas.

How do we monitor for the disease?

We collect and test mosquitoes and dead crows for WNV. We also monitor and test ill humans and horses for WNV, St. Louis Encephalitis (SLE) and Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE).

Can West Nile Virus infect other animals?

Although the vast majority of infections have been identified in birds, the Centers for Disease Control have received reports of WNV in horses, dogs, cats, bats, chipmunks, skunks, squirrels, domestic rabbits and raccoons. There is NO evidence that WNV can be transmitted from animals to humans.

How to report a dead crow?

Please call the Washtenaw County West Nile Virus Hotline at: 734-484-7200, or call the State of Michigan West Nile Virus Hotline at: 1-888-668-0869

York Township Newspapers of Record for notice publications

Which newspaper does York Township use for Publishing Notices?

The newspaper of record for York Township is “MLive/The Ann Arbor News”,

York Township Meeting notices, public hearings, and meeting synopsis are now published inMLive/The Ann Arbor News.